Canal Park

The history of Canal Park, Duluth, Minnesota

Part of the Canal Park neighborhood guide. Back to the full guide.

One fact belongs at the front of this section. Minnesota Point, the sand spit this district sits at the head of, was ceded to the United States by the Ojibwe in 1854 (MNopedia, accessed 2026-08-13). This is Ojibwe homeland, and the canal, the bridge, and the warehouse district that became Canal Park were all built on that transfer. Everything below begins in the 1850s, and it begins there because of what happened in 1854.

Canal Park exists because Duluth refused to be a suburb of Superior, Wisconsin. Through the 1850s and 1860s, ships entering the harbor had to sail around the far end of Minnesota Point and enter through the natural Superior entry, which put Duluth's commerce at the mercy of a rival city's geography. Duluth's answer was to cut its own entrance.

The steam dredge Ishpeming began cutting through the sand and gravel of Minnesota Point on September 5, 1870. Winter stopped the work with the job unfinished. When the dredge stalled on frozen gravel near the lakeshore in late April 1871, residents went at the remaining ground with shovels and dynamite until water could finish the job itself, and on May 6, 1871 the small tug Frank C. Fero came through (MNopedia, accessed 2026-08-13). Superior sued to stop it. Duluth dug anyway. The story is the city's founding myth and it is told here with relish more than a century and a half later.

The canal severed Minnesota Point from the mainland, which created a new problem: how to get people across. The solution, built between 1901 and 1905, was an aerial transfer bridge, an unusual design that carried a suspended gondola car back and forth beneath a high span. In 1929 and 1930 the structure was rebuilt as the vertical lift bridge that stands today, with a deck that rises 138 feet in about 55 seconds (MnDOT Historic Bridges, accessed 2026-08-13).

The land behind the bridge became a warehouse and light-manufacturing district serving the port. The DeWitt-Seitz Company, organized in 1905 as a mattress and furniture business shipping goods in over the Great Lakes, put up its warehouse and factory here in 1909 (Duluth Reader, accessed 2026-08-13). That was the district's character for most of the twentieth century: freight, storage, rail spurs, and industry, with nothing about it that suggested tourism.

The decline of that economy left a district of solid, obsolete brick buildings at the edge of the lake. Duluth's response in the 1980s was to treat its industrial past as an asset rather than a liability. DeWitt-Seitz manufacturing ended in 1983, and the building reopened as a marketplace of shops, restaurants, and offices in 1985, which is as close to a starting gun as the conversion has. The Lakewalk, hotels, the DECC's expansion, and the aquarium followed, and within about two decades Canal Park had become one of Minnesota's most-visited destinations.

Nearby

History next door

More about Canal Park

The rest of the guide